Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Feeling for paper

I’m a paper-sensitive person myself. By that I mean: I like paper − I like to feel it and I like to read from it. I’m a magazine man, after all! I am even inclined to print out a lot of the emails that come in, because I simply don’t like reading from a screen. I’m definitely not a born digital reader.

Until the day I launched my blog on the World Wide Meeting Web and my attention was drawn to a frequently used email message bottom line: ‘Please consider the environment before printing this email’. I’m more careful now. I’ve become more conscious about using paper, and that’s also why I’m very pleased with this issue’s contribution from ESAE in HeadQuarters 20, which is devoted entirely to the topic of what associations can do for the environment.

On the day that I wrote this Editorial, I also received a magazine (I had not known of it until that moment) from Renu Snehi. She’s the Editor of ‘Hotline’, the Rezidor Hotel Group employee magazine. And what do I see? Another green Nordic Ecolabel with the line: ‘Printed on paper produced without optical brightener or chlorine … and printed with vegetable inks.’ Along with the magazine, she had enclosed a supplement entitled: ‘Hotels Environment Action Month’ (HEAM), which talked about ‘responsible business’ and what 166 of the group’s hotels regularly do as environmental actions. The best practice examples! Initiatives like these deserve a feather in their cap.

Taking good care of the earth has become vitally important, and I think that the meetings industry has a large role to play in this. I’m already contributing with two things: the launch of a meetings blog; and, wherever I can, I add…
please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
... or better yet, keep reading Marcel's Meeting Memories

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What would we do without Renu. She's our Queen !

Have a nice day :-)

JL