Monday, April 23, 2007

The Golden Calf (part 2)


I suppose that my blog entries on the Golden Calf will have to come in several episodes. A few messages ago I wrote about the painful moment in Brussels. Luckily, I could also experience a joyful moment later on, at the IMEX association day in Frankfurt. It was a good day. But… what did I hear there? A managing director - a man of distinction - of a major Paris-based association had received 37 invitations from several meeting suppliers for this event. Another form of worshipping, I thought.
And at one of the seminars, someone told that a president of an equally respectable association wanted to do an on-site inspection in a beautiful town. But he stipulated his conditions: it had to be for the whole family - four in total -, free business-class flight tickets and a free stay in a five-star hotel! So, someone who let others worship him!
In the transfer bus to the hotel I sat next to a respectable man and I told him the whole story again. 'Oh,' he said, 'I wouldn't be surprised if there are even stranger things going on. I can imagine there is some professor in the ambassador environment who says that his convention would fit perfectly in that city. And that he can do something about it. But then he adds that his car is broken-down…' Someone who knows his worshippers well, I guess? It's worth the consideration, if you don't bear in mind the moral values. And that will be the topic of the future: who will formulate an ethical code for associations?

No comments: