Friday, December 7, 2007

France awards me with a gold medal

I never really liked getting a medal. It makes me think too much of war veterans or soldiers who walk around with weights on their chest during ceremonies. Until the day that Maison de la France celebrated its 20 years of existence in Brussels. For the occasion, gold medals were awarded. I received La Médaille d’Or du Tourismefrom Mister Serge Mucetti, Consul General of France. Before that, Mister Thierry Baudier (in photo in the background), General Director of Maison de la France (Paris) and Mister Pascal Saint-Père, Director of Maison de la France (Brussels) had already expressed their appreciation of my journalistic articles on the French Meetings Industry that I have been publishing for many years now. An infrared ray of emotion went through my ribs when Pascale Saint-Père solemnly said: ‘Mister Marcel Vissers is the founder of the professional magazine MIM (Meeting & Incentive Media), which is the bench-mark in Belgium and Luxembourg for business tourism. This magazine has a circulation of 6,000 copies and reaches 10,000 readers. Every two months numerous articles are dedicated to France. And the Pan-European magazine HeadQuarters has published various special supplements on French convention cities: Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes…
‘In 2005 Mister Marcel Vissers received the prestigious ‘Belgian Meeting Industry Award’ from BAPCO (Belgian Association of Professional Conference Organisers).
‘For his prime contribution to the tourism sector on the one hand, and his valuable help for the promotion of France on the other (France has a 25% market share in business tourism), Mister Vissers deserves ‘la Médaille d’Or du Tourisme’.’
And I felt like a good schoolboy when the Consul General pinned on the gold on my collar.
What can I add to that myself? Just this:
‘It gave me much joy to put France on the Belgian and Luxembourg map as a meetings and incentive travel destination and for the last five years I’ve also awarded France a special place on the world map as international convention destination in HeadQuarters Magazine, because France is worth gold in the Meetings Industry. That’s why I’m so thrilled to receive this gold medal of La République Française. And I have a little something extra: a while ago I’ve written a small text about ‘l’Auberge’, the most beautiful French word I know. Maybe Maison de la France could be named Auberge de la France as well…’

No comments: