Thursday, March 1, 2007

The father of travel journalism

Ryszard Kapuscinski was a Pole, and father of the journalistic/literary travel report. He passed away on January 23rd in Warsaw. But what was his message for me? He always travelled to places where people showed their worst side. I on the other hand always travel to places where people show their best side, where they always show me the most beautiful parts of their country, and where they often try to impose the non-reality of their town or country on me, for fear of a bad image. Ryszard's work has led me to discover the work of Herodotos, a Greek historian from 500 A.D. who wrote the very first travel report in world literature. From now on, I take Herodotos along as my guide, travel companion and source of inspiration.

No comments: