Monday, March 5, 2007

Simon Anholt, or the world of an inspirator



I have often wondered how cities earn their good or bad reputation. Paris is romance, Milan is style, New York is energy, Washington is power, Tokyo is modernity, Lagos is corruption, Barcelona is culture and Rio de Janeiro is fun…
Since I have met Simon Anholt, I understand it a lot better. He's not a researcher, he told me over the phone, but a government consultant. He's the man who is at the basis of the famous City Brands Index, in other words: 'How does the world view your city'. In often striking comparisons and descriptions he composed a report about 60 metropolises. When I received that report, I thought: Simon, you really are not a researcher, but an inspiration. I was intrigued by that report. And, dear blog reader, if you have become interested in how the world views your city, give me a sign, and I will send you a PDF with the story that I have written for HeadQuarters Magazine (in the now famous yearbook 'Meeting Trends'). If you are nice for me, I might send you some more details about your city. I have already told Brussels that people still think that the city is equal to Manneken Pis. And all that time we were thinking that it was the capital of Europe… It's all in the game, I guess.

No comments: