Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Are countries with a strong brand also successful meeting destinations?

In the meetings industry we often talk about successful meeting destinations. The reason why one country is more successful than another one, is not always clear. Not a lot of scientific research on this matter is available in our trade. Yet I know someone who can lead us the way.
His name is government advisor Simon Anholt (see photo). He is the one who formulates an answer to the question: How do 25.000 consumers worldwide perceive 40 countries - which are mostly countries where there’s also a strong (or less strong) meetings industry. The quarterly published Anholt Nation Brands Index (NBI) - there also exists an Anholt City Brands Index, you could read all about that in HeadQuarters Magazine (Meeting Trends Nr. 19) - is an analytical ranking in which countries are rated on the basis of six dimensions, which is a much broader view than merely from a meetings industry perspective, namely: exports, governance, investment and immigration, culture and heritage, people, and tourism. The latest data, for example, show that the Netherlands is in the top ten of countries with a strong brand. Coincidence or not, the Netherlands is ranked 10th in the ICCA ranking as well, although it lost four places there. You can find detailed NBI results from page 12 onwards in the latest edition of HeadQuarters Magazine (nr. 21)!
Sorry, Barbara Jamison (see photo) of Visit London, I forgot to mention that the UK is the number one country and London the number two city in the respective Anholt Indexes. Give credit where credit is due! And what did I notice? The UK comes third in the latest ICCA stats and London is in 11th place. Now I really wonder if there could be a correlation between the Anholt and the ICCA results. In other words, is a country with a strong brand also a strong congress nation?
I'm a bit jealous of the people attending the AIPC Annual Conference in Graz, because Simon will be there. Congratulations to Marianne de Raay of AIPC because she was able to attract Simon Anholt as unique keynote speaker and discussion leader! I couldn't agree more when she says: ‘this promises to be a most informative and productive session!’ Maybe Simon will give the answer to my question, so my blog readers don't have to rack their brains over my complicated, yet - to my humble opinion - most interesting question.
As always, open for comments…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marcel

It seems that you are jealous because you have other commitment and you will not be able to attend AIPC Annual Conference, I am just as jealous as you are but “c’est la vie”.

Would you be able to help me and advise name of management companies of conference and exhibition centres, if you can I would be very much grateful.

Thanks in advance and PLS don’t be too jealous but I am because I love Graz.

With my best regards,

Randa El Alaily
Cairo International Convention & Exhibition Centre

Anonymous said...

Hello Marcel,

Thanks for sending me the link. Very nice and appealing to read. I must say the magnificient sofa suits you regally!!!

Regards, Marion
Marion Flipse & Associates

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

my compliments, It's beautiful as always.

Greetz, Annelies

Anonymous said...

Thank you ...
You are an angelxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Noted with thanks Marcel…

Take care…


Rick Taylor
The Business Tourism Company

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcel,

Very interesting information and numbers, with which NBTC (Netherlands Bureau of Tourism and Congresses) can score..........!!
I've immediately taken a subscription to the Simon Anholt Index!

Jaap Westerhuijs
Groningen Congresbureau