Thursday, July 19, 2007

Be my good guide!

I can have a great admiration for a snappy guide or someone who can present his destination or venue in a catchy way. Readers from all over the world have often asked me if I know some good examples, and I can answer them: Yes, but I can count them on one hand. People who can give a nice presentation are rare in the meetings industry. However, I'm always overjoyed when my guide in London is wearing a blue badge. In New York I'm often well off with a Big Onion guide and in Berlin I'm sitting pretty when a guide of GoArt is doing his thing.
My latest good experience was in Leipzig, "the place by the linden trees", where elephants and lions were bred. I didn't know all of that. Birgit, a city guide and dressed for the occasion as a "lark lady" with a black bow in her hair and with everything that goes with it, told me that the Leipzig Zoo used to be called 'lion factory'. Up till now 2,500 lions, that's quite something! Male lions that performed badly were shipped off to the museum… and then Birgit looks around a little to the male company in the antique bus, she winks and then says in the most beautiful manner 'Jaaah'. And so it continued. I loved it. What mischievous humour! What a fun guide!
Another honourable mention goes to Ronald Kötteritzsch, Sales Director of the new Congress Center Leipzig. Merely the movement of his hands expresses welcome. He conquers his listeners with a natural smile and he adds that he deeply loves his town and his congress centre. Actually he doesn't even need to say it, he just radiates it!
The thing I missed most in Leipzig, was music. Music by Bach, because he died there in 1750, according to the Julian calendar. Luckily I bought a CD by the famous Leipziger Thomaner boy choir. Tonight I'm listening to ‘Der Mensch lebt und besteht nur eine kleine Zeit'. With that in mind: Spend your time well and if you organize things, do it thoroughly because you only get one shot!

No comments: